Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

An Indecent Proposal

Had dinner with some ex-colleagues last night and the topic of money came up.

My eyeballs nearly popped out of their sockets when one of them declared that her annual pay package is now -get this- a handsome 84,000 SGD.

sweet heavens above, EIGHTY FOUR K?????

on top of 4,500 SGD a month she also gets six months worth of FIXED bonus. and that doesnt even include the variable bonus component.

you know what people say about banks paying obscene salaries. but her revelation was way beyond my wildest expectations.

which got me thinking. what would i do for $84,000? i was asked last night if i would stay at my job if my bosses offered me that amount of money.

many of you would already know that i hate my dead-end job. but my answer was a resounding and definitive yes.

YES, for 84,000 bucks a year i will stifle my ambition to pursue my studies and chase after moolah instead. i might work a couple years more and rake in enough to further my studies. but not after deciding that i've made enough.

money should never be the sole purpose of living, but then again, who doesnt want more cold hard cash? i know i would.

so i went to bed last night dreaming 84k solid gold dreams. its the sort of money i might never get to see in my lifetime, but it didnt hurt to see how much an indecent proposal might cost, and what sort of boundaries i might be willing to cross.

and when i woke up in the morning, i went straight back to my humble bank job and my future as a poor student on a stipend.

No comments:

Post a Comment