Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Onelostsheep Gets Wired!

*SCREAM*

I do believe I am the last fossil on earth still sticking to the discman when everyone else's ears are glued to ipods, but even dinosaurs get their day out in the sun, erm, eventually.

my sweet folks just gave me an ipod nano for my birthday! *double scream* it means a huge deal to me cos my parents arent really what you'd term "techies", and after i turned 21 i somehow began to think that i was getting too old for presents from my parents anyway.

it reminded me of the time i turned 21 because my current discman had been a gift from them as well. for the next six years that discman became a huge part of my life, even when people around me were switching to mp3 players and newfangled phones with portable music functions.

i stubbornly stuck to my increasingly unfashionable discman because it was a testament of the era i grew up in. i was weaned on perfect ten 98.7, my favourite DJs were aloysius tan and bernard lim, i made mixed tapes of songs i heard from the radio, and when i converted from a cassette walkman (it was a sony no less) to the discman i swear i felt like the coolest person in town. the discman saw me through countless sleepy bus rides to NUS, my long walks to school in okinawa and then functioned as my daily source of escape and sanity every morning as i negotiated the human crush on my way to work.

six years on, the discman has given way to the ipod nano. as much as i am loving my new toy, i'm leaving my old companion with a tinge of regret.

but my discman wont ever retire...i'm planning to buy a set of cute doggie speakers so that the old boy can keep singing maybe in the kitchen or bedroom when i move to japan next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment