Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Compulsion.

Right. Somewhere on the lefthand column of my blog under my list of things to do is a sentence that reads: "Stop shopping compulsively!"
I've just succeeded in shooting myself in the foot. And to think it all started with an innocent invitation to coffee with miao and leland.
We were seated at a table close to the window at coffee club in ngee ann city and from where i was seated, i got myself a bird's eye view of the going-ons at pedder red.
women were lining up at the cashier's, and my sale radar just perked up. idly wondering if the boutique was having a sale, my eyes zoomed in on this beautiful black carryall that was resting on a shelf closest to the shop window. for the next two hours, as i was talking to miao and leland, my eyes just couldnt tear themselves away from the gorgeous bag.
it was, in short, love at first sight. after coffee was done, i popped into the shop and tried on the bag for size.
i swear the bag was calling my name. the salesgirl said it was on 30 percent off and the one i was holding was the last piece available, and that they didnt even bring in that many in the first place. it was big, roomy, full calf leather with gold trimmings. and did i mention that i've been looking for the perfect big black bag for the longest time?
i didnt want the bag to scream designer and i wasnt looking for luxury brands either (not that i could afford one anyway). i wanted the bag to be timeless and elegant, simple without being blah.
the bag at pedder red was that and more. it was edgy and slightly masculine, the kind that would look perfect with skinny jeans and ankle boots.
it cost me a small fortune but i know it's a bag i'll continue to love for many years to come. and really, the best things do pop up when you least expect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment