Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hooked

Unbeknown to most, I have never been a fan of online shopping.

while i love to shop, i suspect i only adore it so much because i enjoy walking into a store, pregnant with anticipation of the potential finds awaiting me. i like running my hands through clothing racks, getting a feel of dress fabrics, opening and closing bag clasps, making trips to the fitting room. most of all, i relish the moment when i pay for my purchases and have my spoils handed to me in a paper bag.

so what would make me temporarily forgo the real shopping experience for a round of prosaic mouse-clicking?

say hello to etsy, an online treasure trove of handmade everythings from little sequinned bags to wooden crockery cupboards. just one try and i was charmed enough to buy these:




the former is a handstitched canary yellow clutch that i think would go very well with my forest green evening gown, while the latter is a vintage leather tote circa 1960 that looks like it's in mint condition. i took the trouble of googling the bag maker, which turned out to be a high-end department store founded in san francisco in the 1920s that went bust in 1984. which only served to pique my curiosity further, since the words "vintage", "now-defunct" and "one piece only", when strung together in a sentence, can only mean one thing: MUST BUY.
am waiting with bated breath for the box that contains my newfound possessions to reach me. if they turn out to be good, you can bet i'll be heading to etsy's for my wedding jewellery!

No comments:

Post a Comment